0

Pandemonium // Lauren Oliver

Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2013

Pandemonium is the sequel to Delirium, a book I loved. Delirium ended with Lena escaping into the wilds, leaving Alex behing, presumably dead.  Pandemonium alternates between "then" and "now", the "then" part picks up right where Delirium ended, with Lena getting saved by a group of Invalids, and the "now" part follows Lena in New York City as a part of the resistance. While she is in NYC, she gets kidnapped by a group of Invalids called the Scavengers and she meets a boy named Julian. The book is about them falling in love while Lena is still coping with losing Alex, and about them escaping from the Scavengers.

I really did not like the alternating chapters. They were confusing, and the "then" chapters became less important deeper into the book. Lauren Oliver's writing style is so beautiful, but I was not interested in this book at all during the first 250 pages, I actually put it down for about two weeks because it didn't pull me in at all. I didn't feel an attachment to any of the new characters, especially Raven, whom I did not like very much and while I liked Julian, I didn't care a lot about him until the last 50 pages.

The last chapter was pretty long and really action packed. I was on the edge of my chair the entire time, cursing and probably making some really weird facial expressions. Those last pages was what pulled up my rating off the book. And the last page - OH MY GOD. Someone had already spoiled the ending for me, but I was still in shock for an hour after finishing the book, and now I'm really mad at myself for not buying Requiem before I finished Pandemonium.

If you have yet to pick up Delirium, definitely do it!

What did you think of Pandemonium?


Discussion

Leave a response